Friday, January 23, 2009

Current Events

Sorry it's been a long time since I've last posted on here. My computer is momentarily down again with no power cord. So no more picture posts until I get a new one. But I was just thinking I could give you a quick update on current events. First, they have set a date for the elections here: May 30th. I believe that there is also a run-off date set for sometime in June if it is needed. Just today I read that the Alternative Party is nominating Mohamed Yehdi Ould Moctar Hacen to run for the presidency. I have not heard as of yet weather or not General Aziz will be running. Moving on to Israel and Gaza... as you can imagine the people of Mauritania feel a strong tie to the Palestinians with their common religion. As mentioned in previous posts, Mauritania is one of three Islamic states that recognize the state of Israel. At the moment, that status seems to be in jeopardy as they have frozen ties with Israel. As far as I know they have not severed diplomatic ties, however they have recalled their ambassador and everything. We will have to wait and see how this all plays out, if the new president will have anything to say about it, and whatnot. Exciting times!

1 comment:

Natasa said...

hey! I was just wondering what exactly you're doing in Mauritania and if you know if I could volonteer there, I'm not american.